Wednesday, 5 September 2012

MATCH REPORT: Oxford City 4-2 Boston United

Oxford City recovered from defeat at Halifax in style with a magnificent comeback victory over ex-League club Boston United in front of a sparse crowd of just 203. The crowds will be a concern for City, with attendance for the last two home games showing no increase over last season, despite no United games on the same day.

City started brightly and took the lead in the third minute of the game when Andy Gunn rose to head in a looping free kick. The opening exchanges were unsettled, and the game descended into an aerial midfield battle.

Boston equalised after ten minutes when the City defence failed to deal with a long ball from Ian Ross and Spencer Weir-Daley was on-hand to nod the ball in. It got worse for City moments later and it came from another long ball. This one was nodded down to the feet of Spencer-Daley, who struck a powerful shot from the edge of the area which slipped past Warren Carter in the City goal.

City, who had started the match well, soon found themselves edged out of the game and were easily contained by a comfortable Boston side. Ian Ross was particularly impressive for Boston, controlling the middle of the field.

City came out for the second half looking like a different side. Kynan Isaac came off the bench and was a constant threat on the left wing and it was his cross just two minutes after the restart which set up Darren Pond to equalise for City. Minutes later City had retaken the lead when a long free kick from Jack Mills missed everyone – including the keeper! - and sailed into the far corner of the net.

Boston, finding themselves behind again after looking so comfortable in the first half, failed to find their way back into the match and offered very little going forward. If either side looked most likely to score it was City, who continued to look dangerous when they pressed forward. Kynan Isaac embarked on a great run, beating two men but firing his shot well wide when in a good position. Steve Basham had a go too, twisting and turning to avoid several challenges in the box before seeing his shot blocked by a last-ditch tackle.

Felipe Barcelos came off the bench for the final few minutes and proved an immediate threat when he latched onto a through ball and tested the Boston 'keeper with a fierce shot. It was Barcelos who finally killed the game off in the dying minutes, after Boston had thrown men forward for a corner in a final bid for an equaliser. The headed clearance found Isaac who raced down the field before squaring to an unmarked Barcelos to slot home and finish their opponents off.

Share this


Post a Comment